How can I help people from Ukraine?

There are many ways to support Ukraine and Ukrainians arriving in Germany. You can find a lot of information on how to help at ukraine-verstehen, Leave No One Behind and the Central Council of the Sinti and Roma.

You can register at and to meet refugees from Ukraine who are now living near you and support them in arriving in Germany.

What should I consider as a helper?

In principle, anyone can help. If you are in direct contact with refugees, you can be much more helpful if you are well-informed beforehand. The situation is very difficult for all refugees: some have had terrible experiences and an exhausting flight. Therefore, be mindful and well-informed when dealing with people and always pay attention to your own emotional and mental resources, too.

At you will find 20 tips for people who are helping refugees in Ukrainian, English, German and Russian.

On the Refugio Munich website you will find information in German on how you can best help while, at the same time, taking sufficient care of yourself.

On the website of the nationwide working group for psychosocial centers for refugees and victims of torture, you will find comprehensive practical guidelines in German for dealing with refugees in a trauma-sensitive and empowering manner.

I can offer accommodation and want to help. What do I need to know?

If you would like to help people seeking refuge with private housing, you can either contact the appropriate agency in your city directly or register using one of the links below:

The Quarteera association specifically arranges accommodation for LGBTQIA+. You can register yourself or your apartment for LGBTQIA+ from Ukraine on You can also register housing offers specifically for BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ using the form "Ukraine - BIPOC and LGBTQ+ accomodation".

On the following websites, you can offer accommodation for people and their pets:

Please note: It is currently impossible to predict how long people will have to depend on private housing. So it may make sense to only offer accommodation that will be available for more than a few weeks.

You can provide your accommodation free of charge. However, you can also officially sublet your living space. If you would like to be reimbursed for incidental expenses or part of the rent by the authorities, a subletting agreement is advisable. Please note that your landlord usually has to agree to subletting. The Berlin Tenants' Association has put together a video with the most important information on this. You can find a sample letter to ask your landlord for permission to sublet on A sample subletting agreement is available on the website of the Berlin Refugee Council. Sample applications, which you can use to support your guests in dealing with the authorities, can also be found there.

If you are not officially subletting, the following applies: If your guests are only staying for six to eight weeks, you do not need to register this with your landlord. However, to avoid misunderstandings, it may still be advisable to let your landlord know in advance. If guests are staying longer, you must ask your landlord for permission.

Please note: Unaccompanied minor refugees are not allowed to stay with you privately. They will be taken into care by the Youth Welfare Office. The Youth Welfare Office also organizes their accommodation. You can learn more about this in kindergartens in the "Unaccompanied Minor Refugees" chapter.

In general:

  • Help your guests arrive in Germany and support them - if desired - in dealing with authorities and coping with everyday life, for example when buying a German SIM card or opening a bank account. You can find information on the "Residence", "Assistance from the State" and "Further Assistance" sections.
  • Be sure to give your guests peace and privacy. A private room is ideal. Free access to the bathroom and kitchen should be provided in any case.
  • Your guests have just lost everything and are worried about their families in Ukraine. They may not feel like communicating, or communicating a lot. Many are traumatized. Be considerate of their needs. For support options, see our "Counseling & Support" and "Medical Care" sections.
  • It is currently not possible to exchange Ukrainian Hryvnia for Euros. So if possible, give your guests some cash at least at the beginning. After registration, needy people will be assisted by the Social Welfare Office. You can read more about this in the "Assistance from the state" section.
  • Many Ukrainians are not currently vaccinated against Corona. However, they can get vaccinated free of charge. You can read more about it in the "Medical care" section.
  • If the situation is stressful for you, you can call the counseling hotline at 0800 - 111 0111 free of charge and around the clock and talk to the staff there. You can also use the chat at or

You can find more information and tips at and You will find a guide for private hosts on You can find a FAQ with many answers to all the important questions at

A Ukrainian language guide can be found at, which is currently being made available by the publisher as an e-book for a symbolic amount of 1 cent. A free picture dictionary of Ukrainian can be found at

Important: There are also many people staying in refugee accommodations who are looking for a room or an apartment. You may of course, offer them living space as well.

I speak Ukrainian or Russian. How can I help?

In Germany, interpreters and translators are needed everywhere for new arrivals. Volunteer translators/interpreters can register at ttps:// You will then be contacted.

Are there further training opportunities for helpers?

At ArrivalAid you can register for a free further training course for trauma first responders. The training consists of a 2-hour basic workshop and a 2-day training course. It takes place on site in Munich and online and is carried out in German.

At MHFA, you can register for a 12-hour-long first aid course. There you will learn how to recognize problems and deal with those affected. The course takes place online or on site. If you have any questions, contact