GFK refugee is a person who has been granted refugee status according to the criteria of the Geneva Refugee Convention (GFK).

These refugees are also referred to as „Konventionsflüchtling“. The BAMF decides on the granting of refugee status as part of the asylum procedure.


The border crossing certificate (GÜB) is a paper issued to foreign citizens when they have to leave Germany. 

The GÜB obliges the foreigner to leave the country- and contains the deadline by which the person must have left Germany. Upon departure, the GÜB is handed over to the passport control office and the person required to leave the country receives his/her passport deposited there by the Immigration Office. This way, the authorities make sure the person has left Germany. The GÜB is not a residence permit.