Is my driving licence valid in Germany?

To drive in Germany, in principle, you need a driving licence issued in Germany or another EU country. Driving licenses from non-EU countries are only valid for six months in Germany. This means that you are only allowed to drive in Germany with a driver's license from your home country for the first six months. The period begins with your first police registration ("polizeilichen Anmeldung") in Germany. You must always carry your driving licence with you when driving.

You must also have a translation of your driver's license into German with you. The translation must have been done by a German or internationally recognized automobile club or an authority in your home country or by a sworn translator. You can find sworn translators at No translation is required for driving licenses issued from the following countries: Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Andorra, Hong Kong, Monaco, New Zealand, San Marino, Switzerland and Senegal. You don't need a translation for international driving licenses either.

At the end of these six months, you need to transfer your driving licence ("Umschreibung") if you wish to continue driving. You can read more about the transfer process in the section "Where and how can I have my driving licence transferred?"

If you are only visiting Germany, you are allowed to drive with the driving licence you have obtained in your home country or an international driving licence. Keep in mind that you must always have your driving licence with you when driving. You can read more (in English and German) on the website of the Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure (BMVI).

Please note: During your asylum procedure, BAMF keeps all your documents and often return them only at the end of the procedure. You are not allowed to drive as long as your driving licence is held by the BAMF.

How and where can I register my driving licence?

If your driving licence is not issued in Germany or another EU country, you must have it transferred ("Umschreibung") at the latest six months after your first police registration in Germany.

In order to start the transfer process, you need to apply to the local Driving Licence Office (“Fahrerlaubnisbehörde” or “Führerscheinstelle”). Depending on where you live and the number applicants, it may take a while before they process your application. Start the transfer process before your initial six months are over to make sure you do not lose time. You can find a Driving Licence Office by using the search engine on You have to go personally to a Driving Licence Office and submit various documents. Read the section "Which documents do I need for the transfer?" to find out about the required documents.

The Driving Licence Office then decides whether your driving licence can be transferred without a test or you first have to take part in the theory and practical exams. Their decision depends on the country from which your driving licence has been issued. You can find a list of national driving licences, which are transferred without further tests on If your driving licence has been issued in a country named in this list, in principle, you can have your driving licence transferred without a test. Otherwise, you often have to pass a test.

Before the exam, it makes sense to visit a driving school. Germany has numerous traffic rules and street signs. But unlike the first-timers, if you already have a driving licence issued abroad, you do not need driving lessons.

What documents do I need for a transfer?

The following documents have to be submitted along with your transfer application:

  • ID or passport
  • Registration certificate (“polizeiliche Anmeldung)”)
  • Biometric passport photo
  • Your eye test results (“Sehtest”) issued by an optician or ophthalmologist
  • Confirmation of participation in a first aid course. You can find a first aid course nearby, for instance, on ASB or Johannitern.
  • Original driving licence issued in your country of origin (handing in an international licence is not adequate). In principle, the driving licence must be translated into German by a sworn translator.
  • A statement that confirms the driving licence issued in your homeland is still valid.

Sometimes the driving licence authorities ask applicants for a certificate of good conduct (“polizeiliches Führungszeugnis”) as well. You can receive such a document from your local administration authorities or apply for it online at

Please note: If you are applying for driving licence classes other than A (Motorcycles and alike) and B (Cars), you need to present some additional documents. You can learn more in this regard on the website of BMVI.

How can I obtain a German driving licence?

If you want to apply for a driving licence for the first time, this is what you have to do:

  • Register at a driving school (“Fahrschule”). In big cities, you can find instructors who speak other languages, including Arabic or Persian/Dari.
  • Take part in a first aid course (“Erste Hilfe”)
  • Have your eyes checked by an optician or ophthalmologist (“Sehtest”)
  • Take a biometric passport photo

If you want to apply for a licence in the categories C (lorries) or D (Buses), you need to present some additional documents. On the website of BMVI, you can find a summary of all available driving licence categories.

Please note: As someone with a “Duldung” or Temporary Stay Permit (“Aufenthaltsgestattung”), you can also apply for and obtain a driving licence.

How much does obtaining a German driving licence cost?

The driving licence can cost over 1000 euro if you add up all the costs. The price depends on the number of driving lessons you have to take. The costs of theory lessons and the driving lessons comprise the most significant slice of the sum. Whether you have to take theory lessons depends on various things. Some driving lessons are mandatory for beginners (e.g. highway, night or overland trips).

It will be up to your instructor to decide how many lessons you need. You can’t register for the driving test until your instructor is convinced that you can drive safely. Each driving school has different prices for driving lessons. Compared to the cost of driving lessons, the fees for the actual theory and driving tests are not significant. As an example, you can see the prices of obtaining a driving exam in Bavaria and Baden-Württemberg on

Please note: If you are unemployed and think you can increase your chances in the job market by obtaining a driving licence, ask the Jobcentre to take over the occurring costs. Talk to the staff member responsible for you and explain your plans.

What does the theory test look like?

To obtain a German driving licence, you need to pass both your theory and your practical driving tests. In fact, you must pass the theory test before you can go through a driving test.

You can take the theory test in 12 different languages: German, English, French, Greek, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Croatian, Spanish, Turkish and Arabic (Standard Arabic).

The theory test includes 30 multiple-choice questions. There may be several correct answers to one question. If you receive more than ten minus points, you will fail the test.

Your driving school will register you for the theory test. You will need to present the following documents to be allowed to take the theory test:

  • ID or passport
  • An appointment letter
  • Training certificate issued by your driving school (if you never had a driving licence before)

The results of the theory test are valid for one year. If you fail the driving test and want to try again after 12 months, you have to go through the theory test once more.

There are various websites, In order to prepare for the theory test, you can use websites like or which offer exercises in various languages. In addition, you can use apps and other online tools. Few of these apps come for free, so it is best to ask your driving instructor for learning materials.

What does a practical driving test look like?

If you have passed the theory exam, you can take the driving test. It often takes between 30 to 45 minutes during which you have to demonstrate your ability to drive. Usually the examiner sits in the back seat. They will assess your driving for safety, competence and calmness. Your instructor will sit next to you, so they take control in case of an emergency.

If you don’t pass the exam on the first go, you can repeat it three times after two-week intervals. There is no limit to the number of times you can repeat the exam, but the intervals will become longer after your third unsuccessful attempt.

Can I lose my driving licence?

If you ignore vital traffic rules, you may lose your driving licence. Keep in mind that a driving ban ("Fahrverbot")  is not the same as a withdrawal of driving licence ("Entzug des Führerscheins"). In the event of a driving ban, you must hand in your driving licence to the Traffic Violations Office ("Bußgeldstelle") for a specified period (usually a few months). You cannot drive during this time; but after the deadline, you can pick up your driving licence again. In case of a withdrawal of driving licence, your driving licence loses its validity. That means you are no longer allowed to drive and you are not permitted to apply for a new driving licence for a specified period ("Sperrfrist" or lock-up period). If you endanger traffic, drive while drunk or collected eight penalty points, you may lose your driving licence. You may get penalty points for various traffic law violations, e.g. driving too fast. The penalty points are colloquially called "Punkte in Flensburg". Officially, the system which records the penalty points is called Fahreignungsregister – FAER.

You can find a list of traffic fines on the “Bußgeldkatalog – BkatV”, but the wordings of the catalogue is quite challenging to comprehend. Find an extract of the most common violations and fines on

If you have lost your driving licence due to driving under the influence of alcohol, drug or medications, you have to do a medical and psychological examination (“Medizinisch-Psychologische Untersuchung” or “MPU”) which is colloquially known as “Idiotentest” or idiot’s test. Read more about the MPU on the website of TÜV Süd or Dekra.

Please note: When you obtain a driving licence for the first time, as a beginner, you are going to be on a probationary period ("Probezeit ") for two years. If you are caught for a traffic violation during your probationary period, you have to attend an advanced training course and perhaps go through psychological counselling. In addition, your probationary period will be extended for two more years. If you do not participate in the advanced training course and the counselling session, your driving licence will be seized. Passing a red light, drive with the lights off during the night and drunk driving are some examples of traffic violations. Parking in a No-Parking zone is not considered as a traffic violation. If you park in the wrong place, you only have to pay a fine.

Can I buy a car despite receiving benefits from the Jobcentre?

If you receive benefits from the Jobcentre, the Jobcentre steadily inquires about your assets when you apply for the continuation of your benefits. Cars are a type of asset. If your vehicle is worth less than € 7,500, however, there is no problem. But if it costs more, the Jobcentre may require you to sell it and live off the proceeds before you can receive benefits.

Please note: If you absolutely need a car to find or keep a job, the Jobcentre can help you buy a car by providing you with a loan. Talk to the staff member responsible for you at the Jobcentre.