Life in Germany

Do you have questions regarding education, work, learning German or, in general, life in Germany? Migration Counseling Centers help you with all questions and issues concerning your life in Germany, e.g. work, accommodation, family, health, learning German and residence permit. On, you can search for a Migration Counseling Center in your area. The staff there speak many languages, and the service is free and independent, which means the staff there are not BAMF employees. If you are under 27 years old, you can seek help from a Youth Migration Service nearby. The staff at the Youth Migration Service counselling centres specialise in issues concerning teenagers and young adults.

The Migration Counseling Centers in the states of Bavaria, Baden-Württemberg and North Rhine-Westphalia also provide counselling via an application called mbeon. On mbeon, you can ask questions and seek advice regarding jobs and employment, learning German, family, health, accommodation and residence permits. The app is available in German, English, Arabic and Russian. You can also ask your questions in these languages as well as many others.

Asylum & Residence Rights

  • Do you have questions about the asylum procedure or face a problem regarding your residence permit? You can find help at Pro Asyl. You can reach their staff every week from Monday to Friday (10:00-12:00 and 14:00-16:00) on the phone at 069-24231472 or via e-mail ( The staff there speak mainly English and German and can also recommend a counselling centre or a lawyer in your area for further support. Their service is free of charge, so you only have to pay for the regular call charges.
  • Are you looking for a skilled lawyer or a counselling centre? On the website of the National Refugee Council, you can search for a Refugee Council office in your area. The Refugee Council can provide you with specialised counselling centres or lawyers. Their service is free of charge.
  • Do you have questions about family reunification or face difficulties in this regard? The IOM staff can help you. You can reach the team by calling 0151 - 17660442 or by sending an e-mail to The staff speak German and English, and the service is free. You only have to pay the regular call charges. Your family can also contact the Family Support Centers of IOM in Beirut, Amman, Erbil and Istanbul. The addresses of these Family Support Centers are available on IOM's website. In addition, the DRK Search Service provides counselling and support for family reunification. Their staff speak German, English, Arabic and Tigrynia. You can reach them on the phone at 040 - 43202176, 040 - 43202221 and 040 - 43202202 as well as per email (

Education & Work

Recognition of foreign professional qualifications

  • Would you like to have your vocational certificates recognised in Germany? Do you have any questions in this regard? IQ-Netzwerk (Integration through Qualification) can provide you advice on the subject. The staff there support you during the recognition process and also for further qualifications you may want to obtain. Search for an IQ-Netzwerk Counselling Centre in your area online and check beforehand which languages the staff speak. You can seek advice from them in person, via phone or per e-mail. Their services are free.
  • Do you have questions about the recognition of vocational qualifications in Germany? You can seek help from the IHK Fosa. If necessary, the staff can also introduce you to an IHK office in your area. You can reach their team from Monday to Thursday (9:00 to 12:00 and 14:00 to 17:00) and on Friday (9:00 to 14:00) at 0911-815060. You can also send them an e-mail to The staff, however, speak only German. Their advice is free; so you just have to pay the regular call charges.


Labour Law

If you have problems with your employer, you can turn to one of the advice centres of Fair Integration project. The staff speak different languages ​​and support you free of charge when you face challenges in the workplace. You can find a counselling centre nearby at Their staff can also recommend a lawyer if you want to take legal action against your employer.


University Education & vocational training

You like to study or do vocational training in Germany, but you are not sure where to start? On Make it German's website, you can seek advice on the education-related issues online. The staff there are unicersity students themselves and speak German and Arabic. In order to be able to ask a question, you have to register using a form on The advice is free of charge.


Learning German

  • Are you looking for books or learning materials to improve your German proficiency? One way is to try and find a public library in your area. There you can register and borrow books and other media. In many libraries, there are numerous learning materials and also special opportunities for refugees to improve their German skills. To learn more check library offers for refugees and asylum seekers.
  • Are you looking for a German class or Integration Course nearby? At Kursnet you can search for a German class, integration courses, German vocational courses and alike in your area. On, you can search for an Integration Course nearby. 
  • If you cannot attend an integration or vocational German language course, visit our chapter "Learning German" where you can find various links to free learning materials and search for language cafés nearby.

Psychosocial Support

Do you need support in dealing with a mental health problem? At ipso-care you can seek help, anonymously and free of charge, from experienced counsellors online, in case you suffer from mental health problems or traumas or are experiencing a personal crisis. The staff speak German, English, French, Turkish, Russian, Ukrainian, Somali, Italian, Farsi, Dari, Arabic, Tigrinja, Pashto and Burmese. You need to fill this form to register for the consultation. The service is free of charge.

On the website of the "Nationwide Association of Psychosocial Centers for Refugees and Torture Victims," you will find a list of all psychosocial support centres available for refugees and victims of torture in Germany. You can search for a centre nearby and contact them directly.

On the Refugee Trauma Help’s website, you will find plenty of information and support for refugees with mental health problems. The information and exercises are available in many languages.

There is also  a free App for refugees with mental health problems who are looking for help. The app provides support for the most common mental health issues and gives you some initial tips on how to deal with your difficulties- it is available in English, Arabic and Farsi.

Drugs & Addiction

Are you suffering from excessive alcohol consumption, drug abuse or gambling? Or does a relative or friend of yours' have problems regarding addiction? You can call 089-282822 at any time to anonymously speak with an addiction and drug counsellor and share your concerns or ask your questions. The staff speak German, English, French, Italian, Portuguese and Swedish, and the service is free of charge- i.e. you only have to pay the regular call charges.


Have you recently experienced discrimination due to your origins, nationality or sexual orientation, gender or age? You can seek advice from the Anti-Discrimination Agency at 030-18555 1855. They can be reached on Mondays (1:00 to 15:00) and Wednesdays and Fridays (9:00 to 12:00). You can also reach the staff via e-mail ( The staff, however, only speak German, English and Arabic. The service is available free of charge and also anonymously if desired. You just have to pay the regular call charges.

Missing family Members

Have you lost a family member during your flight to Germany? The DRK Tracing Service helps you to find the family members who have been lost as a result of war and flight. You can submit your search request for your missing loved ones online. This service is free of charge.

In an Emergency


If you or anyone else is at risk, you can call the police at 110. The call is free of charge.


Rescue Service and Fire Department

In acute medical emergencies, i.e. if you or someone else needs immediate help or if you notice a fire or flood, you can contact the Rescue Service or the Fire Department at 112. The call is cost-free.


Poisoning Emergency Service

If someone around you shows symptoms of poisoning, you can search for the nearest Poisoning Emergency Center online. They are available day and night.


Emergency Pharmacy

If you need to buy medications outside the regular opening hours, you have to go to an emergency pharmacy. On you can search for the nearest emergency pharmacy.


Medical help for people without health insurance

At Malteser Migrants Medications you can seek medical aid, even if you do not have health insurance or proper papers. You can benefit from their service anonymously and free of charge. Your stay there will not be shared with the social welfare office or the immigration office. You can search for such an organization near you on the website. Other than that, you can search for anonymous medical assistance in your area also on the websites of Malteser and Medibüros. For more on that you can check our chapter Healthcare for Refugees.

Please note: Hospitals are not allowed to pass on your data to other people or authorities. So don't be afraid to go to a hospital in an EMERGENCY or to call the emergency doctor.


On, you can search for the Immigration Office ("Ausländerbehörde") and the regional office of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF) responsible for you.