Life in Germany

Do you have questions regarding education, work, learning German or, in general, life in Germany? Migration Counseling Centers help you with all questions and issues concerning your life in Germany, e.g. work, accommodation, family, health, learning German and residence permit. You can search for a Migration Counseling Center in your area online. The staff there speak many languages, and the service is free and independent, which means the staff there are not BAMF employees. If you are under 27 years old, you can seek help from a Youth Migration Service nearby. The staff at the Youth Migration Service counselling centres specialise in issues concerning teenagers and young adults.

The Migration Counseling Centers in the states of Bavaria, Baden-Württemberg and North Rhine-Westphalia also provide counselling via an application called mbeon. On mbeon, you can ask questions and seek advice regarding jobs and employment, learning German, family, health, accommodation and residence permits. The app is available in German, English, Arabic and Russian.

Asylum & Residence Rights

Education & Work

Recognition of foreign professional qualifications



University Education & vocational training

You like to study or do vocational training in Germany, but you are not sure where to start? On Make it German's website, you can seek advice on the education-related issues online. The staff there are unicersity students themselves and speak German and Arabic. To use their service, you must first register by filling this form. The services are free of charge.


Learning German

Psychosocial Support

Do you need support in dealing with a mental health problem? At ipso-care you can seek help, anonymously and free of charge, from experienced counsellors online, in case you suffer from mental health problems or traumas or are experiencing a personal crisis. The staff speak German, English, French, Turkish, Russian, Ukrainian, Somali, Italian, Farsi, Dari, Arabic, Tigrinja, Pashto and Burmese. You need to fill this form to register for the consultation. The service is free of charge.

On the website of the "Nationwide Association of Psychosocial Centers for Refugees and Torture Victims," you will find a list of all psychosocial support centres available for refugees and victims of torture in Germany. You can search for a centre nearby and contact them directly.

There is also a free App for refugees with mental health problems who are looking for help. The app provides support for the most common mental health issues and gives you some initial tips on how to deal with your difficulties- it is available in English, Arabic and Farsi.

Drugs & Addiction

Are you suffering from excessive alcohol consumption, drug abuse or gambling? Or does a relative or friend of yours' have problems regarding addiction? You can call 089-282822 at any time to anonymously speak with an addiction and drug counsellor and share your concerns or ask your questions. The staff speak German, English, French, Italian, Portuguese and Swedish, and the service is free of charge- i.e. you only have to pay the regular call charges.


Have you recently experienced discrimination? Do you need to talk about it or learn more about the measures you can take? You can seek advice from the Anti-Discrimination Agency at 030-18555 1855. They can be reached on Mondays (1:00 to 15:00) and Wednesdays and Fridays (9:00 to 12:00). You can also reach the staff via e-mail ( The staff, however, only speak German. The service is available free of charge and also anonymously if desired. You just have to pay the regular call charges.

Missing family Members

Have you lost a family member during your flight to Germany? The DRK Tracing Service helps you to find the family members who have been lost as a result of war and flight. You can submit your search request for your missing loved ones online. This service is free of charge.

In an Emergency


If you or anyone else is at risk, you can call the police at 110. The call is free of charge.


Rescue Service and Fire Department

In acute medical emergencies, i.e. if you or someone else needs immediate help or if you notice a fire or flood, you can contact the Rescue Service or the Fire Department at 112. The call is cost-free.


Poisoning Emergency Service

If someone around you shows symptoms of poisoning, you can search for the nearest Poisoning Emergency Center online. They are available day and night.


Emergency Pharmacy

If you need to buy medications outside the regular opening hours, you have to go to an emergency pharmacy. On you can search for the nearest emergency pharmacy.


Medical help for people without health insurance

At Malteser Migrants Medications you can seek medical aid, even if you do not have health insurance or proper papers. You can benefit from their service anonymously and free of charge. You can search for a Malteser Migrants Medications in your area online.


At WebGis you can search for the Immigration Office ("Ausländerbehörde") and the regional office of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF) responsible for you. All you need is to enter your postal code and select either "Regional Office with Regional Coordinator" ("Zuständige Regionalstelle mit Regionalkoordinator") or "Responsible Immigration Office" ("Zuständige Ausländerbehörde").