When can I apply for a permanent residence permit?

As a recognised refugee or individual entitled to asylum, you must meet the following requirements to obtain a permanent residence permit:

If you have a residence permit as an individual entitled to subsidiary protection or due to a National Ban on Deportation, you have to fulfil further requirements. For instance, in this case, you cannot receive government benefits, and you must contribute to pension insurance ("Rentenversicherung") for at least 60 months before you can apply for a permanent residence permit.