What is a disability?

Disability is defined as a limitation of physical, psychological or mental ability that lasts longer than six months and prevents a person from living a life typical of their age. Disabilities include not only physical and mental conditions but also chronic illnesses (such as rheumatism, multiple sclerosis, cancer) and mental illness.

There are several degrees of disability (in German: "Grade von Behinderung" or "GdB") ranging from 20 to 100. The higher your GdB (i.e. the harder your disability), the more support you receive from the state. Your doctor will determine what your GdB is.

Does the state support people with disabilities?

The German state supports people with disabilities to compensate for the disadvantages they have to face due to their conditions. This regulation is called "disadvantage compensation" („Nachteilsausgleich“ ). Disabled people can, for instance, benefit from the following:

  • Special medical care
  • Assistance in job hunting or protection from dismissal
  • A household helper
  • Support for childcare costs
  • Cost-free use of buses & trains
  • Early retirement
  • Lower taxes

But not every person with a disability is entitled to all of these special supports. Your personal condition determines if such support options apply to you and when so, from which ones you can benefit.

To apply for support from the state, you must first register for a "Disability Card" ("Schwerbehindertenausweis"). Only people with a severe disability (a GdB of 50 or higher) can obtain this card. To apply for a "Disability Card", you must fill the relevant form and hand it in (along with all your medical certificates) to your local Pension Office ("Versorgungsamt"). In case your GdB is lower than 50, you may still be able to benefit from the support you need under some circumstances. To do so, seek help from a counselling centre.

Please note: You can apply for a "Disability Card" regardless of your residence status, which means even if you are still in the asylum procedure or have a Tolerated Stay ("Duldung"), you can still obtain a "Disability Card".

Where can I find counselling service and support?

All counselling centres also provide support to people with disabilities. For instance, you can go to a Migration counselling centre for Adults- or if you are under 27, seek advice from a Youth Migration Service (JMD) in your area. The staff in both organisations speak various languages. Refugees with disabilities can also find help at ProAsyl (in German and English) by calling 069-242 31472 or sending an email to proasyl@proasyl.de.

You can also contact one of the five organisations and associations which offer support to people with disabilities in Germany- where you can find detailed information about everyday life, law, work, health insurance and various other matters related to the people with disabilities (in German):

Where can I find support for children with disabilities?

The youth welfare office in your municipality or district is responsible for children with disabilities and offers advice and support to families. At www.jugendaemter.com  you will find the Youth Welfare Office responsible for you. To learn more about your rights and opportunities you can also check www.familienratgeber.de and  www.kindergesundheit-info.de. Furthermore, on www.bvkm.de, you will find a helpful brochure concerning children with disabilities and their needs, and on www.patiententelefon.de, you can benefit from a useful collection of links and contact information for parents.

The inclusion of children with disabilities in regular schools is promoted in Germany, but these children can also attend specialised schools, which are tailored to fit their particular needs. The Youth Welfare Office responsible for you or a counselling centre nearby can provide you with more specific advice.