Coronavirus, Work & State Aids

What do I need to know?

The content above is shared from {videoservice}. For more information, click {socialhintlink_begin}here{socialhintlink_end}.

Due to the situation caused by the coronavirus, life in Germany is changing drastically. Current developments and safety precautions also affect our jobs as many companies close temporarily or switch to short-time work ("Kurzarbeit"). Independent Self-employed and small business owners receive fewer orders or none at all.

Here, you learn about your rights and options in times of the coronavirus.

What do I need to know?

Can I stay home if I’m worried, I may get infected?

Do I have to work overtime during the Coronavirus pandemic?

Can I stay home to look after my child/children?

What happens if my employer sends me home, because I am ill?

Do I receive wages if I don't make it to my workplace, if, for instance, public transport stops working?

Will I still receive wages if I am quarantined?

Will I get paid if I contract the coronavirus and cannot work?

Am I going to get paid if my company has to close due to the coronavirus pandemic?

Can I obtain a work permit to get a short-term job in the field of agriculture?

What types of state support are currently available for me?

What does it mean for me, when my employer switches to short-time work (Kurzarbeit)?

Can I take a part-time job during short-time work?

Can subcontracted workers ("Leiarbeiter") also receive short-time work benefits?

Does short-time work also apply to those who are doing "Ausbildung"?

I am a student and lost my part-time job. Is there any help for me?

What happens if I lose my job while living here on a work visa?

What can I do if I am dismissed or earning little to no income?

Can I apply for extra money at Jobcentre due to the Corona crisis?

I receive benefits from the Jobcentre, but the authorisation will expire soon. How can I submit a new application?

I am self-employed and have lost (part of) my income. What can I do?

What types of support are available for families?

I cannot pay my rent. What shall I do?

Does receiving benefits from the state put me at risk of losing my residence permit?

I can no longer pay my bills. What shall I do?

Are there any other state aids?


If you suspect that you are infected, please do not go to the doctor's office before first calling them. You can also contact the Germany-wide patients' helpline by dialing 116117. Alternatively, you can call your state's Corona hotline.