Blue Passport

What is a "Blue Passport"?

 Blue passport for refugees

The Refugee Travel Document is a substitute for the passport of the state from which you have fled, in other words, where you previously had your legal residence. In Article 28 of the Geneva Convention on Refugees, all Contracting States are obliged to issue a travel document for recognised refugees. That is why this travel document is called the Convention Passport. In Germany, many call it a Blue Passport („Blauer Pass”) because of its colour, but it is not blue in all the countries which joined the convention. The blue passport should not be confused with the EU "Blue Card" or the dark blue diplomatic passport. You will receive the Blue Passport if the BAMF has recognised your right to asylum or refugee status.

If you do not hold a passport issued by your home country and you are entitled to subsidiary protection or a national deportation ban applies to you, then you must ask for a passport at your home country's embassy. If the embassy does not issue you a passport, you can apply for a Travel Permit for Foreigners („Reiseausweis für Ausländer“) at the relevant Immigration Office („Ausländerbehörde”). You can learn more about it in our chapter “Traveling Abroad”.  

Please note: If you have been granted subsidiary protection or have a residence permit due to a national deportation ban but are appealing the BAMF's decision to obtain refugee status, you must not visit your home country's embassy. If you do so, the BAMF assumes that you are not being persecuted in your home country.

What do I need to know?

Who is entitled to a Blue Passport?

Which countries can I travel to with my Blue Passport?

Which countries can I travel to visa-free?

Where and how can I get a Blue Passport?

What is an e-Pass?

How long is my Blue Passport valid for?

I have lost my passport

I have changed my place of residence- what should I do?

Is the Blue Passport the same as EU Blue Card?


After your right to asylum or refugee status has been recognized by BAMF, you will receive a "Blue Passport". After that, you are not permitted to obtain a passport from your country's embassy or travel to your homeland; otherwise, you will lose your protection status and residence rights in Germany.