Tolerated Stay (“Duldung”)

Do I have any chance to stay in Germany?

The content above is shared from {videoservice}. For more information, click {socialhintlink_begin}here{socialhintlink_end}.

The Tolerated Stay Permit ("Duldung") is issued for individuals who are, in principle, obliged to leave the country, but their departure is temporarily not feasible, due to obstacles to deportation or other reasons which necessitate the continuation of their presence in Germany (§ 60a Asylum Act). Deportation obstacles may include, for instance, a severe illness or the lack of identification papers. Other legitimate reasons for your stay may be, for example, participation in a vocational training programme or going through necessary medical treatments.

A Tolerated Stay Permit or "Duldung" is not an actual residence permit, but rather a temporary residence document which enables you to stay in Germany for a limited period. Those who hold a tolerated stay permit can legally reside in Germany for the time, but their obligation to leave still stands. A tolerated stay permit is usually valid only for a few days, weeks or months. If the deportation impediment(s) or other causes of issuing a "Duldung" persist, your tolerated stay permit will be extended- otherwise, it will not be prolonged. Then, if you cannot obtain a residence permit for any other reason (for more check our Immigration chapter), in principle, you will have to leave Germany.

Important questions about "Duldung"

Can I have a tolerated stay permit (“Duldung”)?

What are my rights and obligations during my tolerated stay?

Can I be deported despite having a "Duldung"?

Where and how can I apply for a "Duldung"?


There are various ways of obtaining a residence permit for those who have "Duldung". Seek advice from a counselling centre to learn more about your options. The Pro Asyl and the Refugee Council in your state, for instance, can provide you with more information.