Family reunification

Can I bring my family to Germany?

The content above is shared from {videoservice}. For more information, click {socialhintlink_begin}here{socialhintlink_end}.

If you want to bring your family to Germany, there are several rules and regulations you should keep in mind. The most decisive factor is your residence status. In case your asylum procedure is still ongoing, or you have a so-called "Duldung", or a residence permit due to a national deportation ban, family reunification is, in principle, not possible. But if you are a recognised asylum-seeker or refugee, you have the right to reunite with your family in Germany. For the individuals with subsidiary protection, currently, special regulations apply: You can read more about this in the section "Can I apply for family reunification?" below.

Here we go through your rights as an individual who has fled to Germany. If you are not a refugee or asylum seeker, but still have a residence permit in Germany, you can find relevant details on family reunification on the website of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF) and in our chapter Immigration.

Family Reunification for Refugees

Can I apply for family reunification?

Which family members can join me in Germany?

What are the requirements for family reunification?

Where and how should I apply for family reunification?

Which documents should my family submit in their appointment at German embassy?

What if the immigration office rejects my application for family reunification?

Where can I get help?

What should I do after the arrival of my family in Germany?

I have lost my family members


When your family members arrive in Germany, you need to take them to the Residents' Registration Office (“Einwohnermeldeamt”) and the Foreigners' Registration Office (“Ausländerbehörde”) for registration.