Residence Permits for Refugees

What types of residence permit exist?

The content above is shared from {videoservice}. For more information, click {socialhintlink_begin}here{socialhintlink_end}.

If you have fled to Germany for political or humanitarian reasons and would like to stay here, you can apply for asylum. If your asylum application is accepted, you will be issued a residence permit. In Germany, there are three main forms of protection for refugees. As an asylum seeker, you may be recognised as being entitled to asylum, refugee status or subsidiary protection. In addition, the BAMF can also issue you a National Ban on Deportation ("nationales Abschiebungsverbot"). In this case, you will also receive a residence permit.

Forms of protection and essential questions about residence permits

Entitlement to asylum

Recognition as a refugee (according to the Geneva Refugee Convention)

Subsidiary protection

National ban on deportation

How can I extend my residence permit?

Could I lose my residence permit?


Even if you have not been granted any of the three forms of protection, nor issued a national ban on deportation, you still have some options that allow you to stay in Germany. Read more in our chapter "Rejected Asylum".