Higher Education

What type of degree can I obtain?

As a member state of the European Union, the German higher education system was aligned with other European countries in the course of the 2000s. This is called the “Bologna Process”. The new bachelor’s and master’s degrees have now practically replaced the diploma (“Diplom”) and former master’s degree (“Magister Artium”). However, you might still come across them because not all universities have completed the Bologna Process yet. "Diplom" and "Magister Artium"both are equivalent to the new master’s degree.

What types of degree programmes are there?

Bachelor’s Degree (“Bachelor”)

Master’s Degree (“Master”)

State Exam (“Staatsexamen”)

PhD (“Doktor”)

Dual Vocational Degree (“duales Studium”)


On hochschulkompass.de, you can search among various types of higher education institutions and degrees and have them displayed for all possible courses of study.