National Visa Type D

Can I enter Germany and stay for long term?

All citizens of so-called "third countries" (non-EU countries) need a visa to stay in Germany for more than three months or work here. That means only citizens of the EU countries and Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland do not require a visa to live in Germany. The long-stay visa most foreign citizens need to obtain is called the "National Visa Type D".

Most people from third countries also require a visa for shorter visits. You can find out more about it in our chapter "Visitor Visa".

What do I need to know?

What is a National Visa Type D?

Where do I apply for the visa?

Where can I find the visa application form?

What documents do I need for the national visa?

What does a national visa cost?

How long does the visa process take?

What conditions do I have to fulfil?

How long is the National Visa Type D valid?

Can I also apply for asylum with a National Visa Type D?


Citizens of Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, New Zealand, Korea, Great Britain, Northern Ireland and the United States of America do not need to apply for a visa at the embassy in advance. They can also apply for it after they arrive in Germany.