Vocational Training visa

Can I come to Germany for vocational training?

Vocational training programmes in Germany can offer great opportunities for a successful career. To come to Germany and take part in a vocational training programme, you will need a corresponding residence permit, i.e., "residence permit for the purpose of training" ("Aufenthaltserlaubnis zum Zweck der Ausbildung"), regulated in Section 16a of the Residence Act. For many people from the so-called third countries (countries outside the EU), however, the first step is to apply for a "visa for the purpose of vocational training". A vocational training visa allows you to enter Germany legally and then start your training programme. Here you can learn about requirements you have to meet for a visa or residence permit as a trainee.

What do I need to know?

For which training programmes can I obtain a visa?

Where do I apply for a visa?

What documents do I need for the application?

What happens after entering the country?

What happens when I complete my training?

What happens if I drop out of my training programme or get dismissed?


You can learn more about vocational training in our chapters "School-based vocation training" and "Dual vocational training".