Registering your address in Germany

Where and when to do the "Anmeldung"?

 Notebook on wooden table

In principle, all those who come to Germany and want to stay longer than three months, have to register ("Anmeldung") their residential address with the German authorities after two weeks. You can do so in person at local offices of "Einwohnermeldeamt" or "Bürgeramt" you find on

This registration has nothing to do with the registration you -as an asylum seeker- need to do at the immigration office, i.e. refugees are required to do both. Find out more about registeration process for refugees in the chapter “Registration as an asylum seeker”.

"Anmeldung" or Residential Registration

Who must register and when?

What data is filed by the Registration Office?

What should I do when I'm moving out?

What other tasks does the registration office have?

Can I demand that my place of residence remains hidden?

What other registration obligations exist?


If you are being stalked or working in a profession in which you are potentially at risk, you can apply to block your personal data at your local Residents' Registration Office by §51 of the Federal Registration Law ("Bundesmeldegesetz"). Your address is then hidden and cannot be queried by a third party.