Advanced German Courses

How can I continue learning German?

The content above is shared from {videoservice}. For more information, click {socialhintlink_begin}here{socialhintlink_end}.

Once you have finished your integration course, you might be wondering how to continue learning German. For most administrative procedures in Germany, you will need a level higher than B1. The same holds true for vocational training, academic studies and many of the professions you might wish to work in. So taking classes in advanced or specialised German will benefit you in many different ways. In general, advanced German courses (“Kurse für Fortgeschrittene”) start at B2 level and run up to C2 level, according to the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR).  

The Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (“Bundesamt für Migration und Flüchtlinge” or BAMF) pays for integration courses which generally cover A1, A2 and B1 levels. Once your language skills are assessed to be adequate, i.e. you have passed the final exam of your integration course, the BAMF is not technically obliged to pay for further courses. However, under certain circumstances you can apply for further vocational language courses.

There are also a number of other advanced German courses which are offered by various public and private institutions, e.g. language schools and universities. You can also find a lot of good language learning resources online, many of them for free.

Course Providers and Funding Options

BAMF Courses

University Courses

Language Scholarships

Language Schools

Online Courses and Resources

Depending on the type of course you took, you will receive an attendance certificate (“Teilnahmebescheinigung“) once you have successfully completed your classes. If your course finishes with a general exam, you will receive a language certificate which includes your overall level according to the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) as well as your performance in the individual testing sections (“Deutschzertifikat”).

Please be aware that depending on the profession in which you wish to work or the kind of studies you wish to undertake, you might be asked for a specific German certificate, e.g. the specialised German exam (“Fachsprachenprüfung”) or DSH (“Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang”). Before you sign up for an exam, make sure which certificate you need in order to apply for a job or an academic course. 


You can enrol in a wide range of advanced German courses free of charge. However, they don’t all cater to the same learners (from B2 to C2 level) nor follow the same goals (academic German, business German etc.). Before you enrol in a specific course, ask yourself how you want to use your German skills in the future.