Visa for Research Work

Can I come to Germany and work as a researcher?

Germany has numerous significant research institutes. If you want to come to Germany to work as a researcher from outside the EU, you need a visa or a residence permit for the purpose of research according to §18d Residence Act.

What do I need to know?

Can I obtain a visa for research work?

Where do I apply for a visa?

What documents do I need for the application?

What happens after entering the country?

What happens if my contract with the research institute ends?


You can learn more about work contracts and labour rights in our chapters "Employment Contract", "Employee Rights" and "Job Hunting and Application".