Visa for Skilled Workers

Can I obtain a work visa?

Germany needs skilled workers. If you wish to come to Germany to work, you will need to obtain a corresponding residence permit, i.e., a "residence permit for qualified employment", regulated in §18a and §18b, paragraph 1 of the Residence Act. However, for most non-EU citizens, the first step is to apply for a corresponding visa to be able to enter Germany and work. Here you can learn which requirements you have to meet for a visa or residence permit as a skilled worker.

What do I need to know?

For which jobs can I obtain a work visa?

Where do I apply for the visa?

What documents do I need for the visa application?

What happens after entering the country?

What if I lose my job?


You can learn more about working in Germany in our chapters "Employment Contract" and "Labour Rights".