Residence Permits for Individuals with "Duldung"

From tolerated stay to an actual residence permit

Many people live in Germany with "Duldung" for years. But those with "Duldung" who meet specific requirements can also obtain a residence permit. If you do not meet all the conditions, you can seek advice from a counselling centre, for instance, the Refugee Council in your state.

Please note: Since August 1, 2019, there is a new type of "Duldung" for those whose identity cannot be verified. If you do not have any identity documents (from your country), you will probably be issued this new type of "Duldung" according to §60b Residence Act. If so, the regulations specified below do not apply to you.

What options do I have?

Residence permit for humanitarian reasons

Residence permit for well-integrated adults

Residence permit for well-integrated youth and adolescent

Residence permit for qualified individuals with a "Duldung"

Where and how can I apply for a residence permit?


There are various ways of obtaining a residence permit for those who have "Duldung". Seek advice from a counselling centre to learn more about your options. The Pro Asyl and the Refugee Council in your state, for instance, can provide you with more information.