EU Blue Card

Can I obtain an EU Blue Card?

The EU Blue Card is similar to the American Green Card. It is a special form of residence permit for academics who want to work as qualified professionals in Germany. If you are a professional living outside Germany and the EU, you can apply for an EU Blue Card. The requirements are set out in Section 18b (2) of the Residence Act.

What do I need to know?

Can I obtain an EU Blue Card?

Where do I apply for the visa?

What documents do I need for the application?

What happens after entering the country?

Can I change my job later?


Holders of the EU Blue Card can receive a permanent residence permit (or settlement permit) after just 33 months. You can learn more about such a residence permit in our chapter "Permanent Residence Permit".